Casseroles and bakes are my favorite go-to dinners because a lot of the time I just need something I can pop in the oven and let the oven do the work for me. I’m busy and I’m sure you are too but I still need to eat and so does my family.
The BBQ chicken is great but cooking it can be time-consuming. I love this bake in particular because the layer of cornbread adds a lot of flavors but it’s thin so it doesn’t add a lot of carbs or calories.
- 1 ½ pound diced skinless chicken breast
- 1 15-ounce can of pinto, black, or kidney beans (pick your favorite), rinsed and drained
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and minced
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ barbeque sauce
- 1 6-ounce package cornbread mix made into the batter as instructed on the box
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Take your diced chicken cook it in a skillet over medium heat until cooked all of the ways through.
- In a saucepan mix the beans, green pepper, jalapeno, tomato sauce, and barbeque sauce and heat over medium heat until heated throughout. Mix in the chicken.
- Pour the bean and chicken mixture into your baking dish.
- Spoon cornbread batters over the chicken mixture and spread around.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until the cornbread is cooked.
- Allow sitting for 3 minutes before serving.